In the year 2009, Ryan Dahl, an American software engineer, created Node.js. The open-source project of Node.js was sponsored by a cloud computing and hosting company named Joyent. It was instantly recognized to be the most exciting piece of software then and gathered quite a lot of attention in 2017. Since then, its demand kept multiplying. Later, this thriving technology was being used by LinkedIn for its backend development and even adopted by a host of Tech Leaders like Walmart, Uber, eBay, Netflix, etc.
In this blog, you will get a glimpse of what is Node.js along with its generic and technical advantages. So, let’s get started.
What is Node.js?
Node.js is primarily being used for web app development and to build networking programs like web servers. The creation of web apps is extremely easy, and efficient yet cost-effective with this amazing technology. It is extensively being chosen for real-time apps, and data-intensive apps requiring scalability and speed of operation.
Potential Advantages of Node.js Web App Development
Fullstack JS Technology Stack
- code sharing and reusability as the same language used in frontend and backend
- a plethora of free tools
- elevated efficiency and reduced overall costs
- better developer productivity
- High-speed functioning for faster time-to-market
- simplified knowledge sharing within a team
The apps built using Node.js offer high performance for several reasons as mentioned below:
- Node.js can handle request asynchronously.
- Its event-driven and single-threaded architecture allows the processing of several concurrent requests without the congestion of RAM. Although single threaded language Node.js in background uses multiple threads to execute asynchronous code.
- Its non-blocking event-loop mechanism ensures code execution in a way that enhances overall performance.
- Since it is written in C++ and based on Google Chrome’s V8 engine, it splits the JS functions into machine codes making the code implementation faster and effective.
- Google introduced the V8 benchmark suite for supporting Node.js with better compilers, faster execution, security patchworks, etc.
Highly Scalable and Customizable
Node.js is considered a viable solution for the scalability of the apps. It offers high scalability in horizontal as well as vertical directions. To scale the apps horizontally, extra nodes can be added to the existing system. To scale the apps vertically, additional resources can be added to the single nodes. Likewise,
- it provides features like cluster module
- non-blocking i/o operations facilitates the server to process requests smoothly
- enables balancing of loads on multiple CPU cores
- Developers get better flexibility as it enables them to leverage micro-services architecture.
Also, Node.js is known for providing customizable solutions. Rapidly growing enterprises that are willing to explore diverse dimensions can leverage this technology with ease. This is so due to the built-in API that can be leveraged for developing DNS and HTTP servers and JSON that simplifies the data exchange between web and client servers.
Mild Learning Curve and Easy Adaptability
On the other hand, IBM supports this technology and has shown extra interest in sponsoring the project for making it a full-fledged ecosystem. Other Tech Giants like Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. also have extended their support by making crucial contributions to it.
Other Technical Advantages
Caching Advantage and Less Loading Time: It supports quick caching of modules which reduces re-execution of code and task workload of the Node.js developers. It helps the end-users to access the web pages within the fraction of microseconds reducing the wait times.
JSON Support: Node.js can use JSON format seamlessly without converting it into binary models. This makes it a lightweight and extensible environment as compared to other frameworks.
Event-based Model: It is an event-based model having non-blocking, asynchronous, and single-threaded nature. This helps make apps having real-time and event-based features like online gaming, video conferences, chatting functionality, etc.
REST API Support: Building RESTful API is possible with the use of Node.js.
We have looked at the crucial advantages offered by Node.js. Every web application development company and developers can leverage it with ease. This technology has some demerits as well, like instability in API, immaturity of tooling, heavy computing tasks, call-back hell issue, lack of experienced professionals, etc. But its advantages outclass its pitfalls. Besides, countless business enterprises have welcomed Node.js web app development for their projects.
With this, we come to the end of this blog.
Hope this blog has enlightened you about this amazing technology! If you have any other advantages to let us know, please share your thoughts in the comment section.
You may even mail us at email@example.com