React Native has become the most talked-about technology in the last couple of years. Its popularity as a cross-platform framework due to cost efficiency has made React Native Development the most preferred development technology in the tech world. Due to the ever-growing demand, developers are expected to build highly performant apps. One of the challenging decisions while architecting React Native apps is to select the right database for the project. The good news is, that the React Native framework comes with some really good choices available for data storage. So, in this blog, we will shed light on top React Native databases for 2022. Let’s explore them in detail. But before that, let’s quickly run through the significant factors that should be considered while choosing the apt database for React Native projects.
Variables to be considered while choosing the Apt Database for Your Project
Data and App Complexity
Complex data sets in the applications can cause severe app performance issues. So, databases that can store complex data should be chosen. Apps that have lower complexity can use simple databases so that such apps can be easily synced with the server. But complicated apps with multiple-user collaboration requirements require a complex database for ensuring seamless syncing.
Inadequate database memory management can lead to the crashing of apps. Hence, it should be ensured that memory management is done efficiently through processes like compaction, garbage collection, etc.
Line of Codes:
If a higher number of code lines are used in a project for CRUD-like operations, then an advanced database should not be the choice as the coding gets more cumbersome. This code complication deteriorates the performance of the app significantly.
The possibility of data conflicts increases when more collaboration-related features are added to the app and data is being used concurrently. So, it is always good to select a database that handles data conflicts and concurrency and shares the conflict handling policies on the website or at least on repository pages.
Top Databases for React Native in 2022!
Realm is an object-oriented database that enables the creation of real-time and offline applications that run on both- wearable devices as well as smartphones. It is one of the top React Native databases amongst all the available ones. This database is highly preferred when the end goal of the project is building high-performance apps that can deal with a huge data flow. The database benefits both platforms- iOS and Android. It doesn’t depend on key-value stores as it has its own database engine. Realm allows the React Native app developers to frequently undergo tables, mapping classes, fields, foreign keys, etc.
Key Advantages of Realm:
- Makes use of multiple encryption standards to ensure good security for diverse mobile platforms
- Realm Synchronization service works locally in the background for recording user interactions and service requests and sends the data to the server after the device goes online.
- Redux offline can be used to fulfill offline-first architecture requirements.
For React Native development, Firebase supports real-time NoSQL DB. This database is known for its offline data modifications and data synchronization capabilities. Besides, it can handle M (model) and C (controller) of the MVC that is needed while building React Native applications.
Key Advantages of Firebase:
- This database allows real-time data syncing for all the clients simultaneously.
- Firebase offers a cross-platform API that can be easily set up with minimum effort.
- Firebase database can be directly accessed with a mobile device and so, the application servers are not needed.
- Firebase supports the creation of real-time apps with offline persistence capabilities.
SQLite is a relational database management system developed for offering local storage to React Native applications. ‘Lite’ in SQLite depicts the lightweight nature of this database. Also, this database is very easy to set up. It can be directly integrated with mobile applications for accessing the database. For data encryption, SQLite can be used with an extension called SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE).
Key Advantages of SQLite:
- This database can support offline persistence, simply by using a react-native-SQLite-storage plugin for data management within the mobile app.
- SQLite is ACID-compliant and employs most of the SQL standards with just a few omissions. It comes with a file-based library architecture and some tools for easily and efficiently handling all data types.
Key Advantages of PouchDB:
- It allows data syncing using a supported server for running the apps online as well as offline.
- Ensures speedier execution of queries.
- Also, as PouchDB remains inside a browser, it is not necessary to run queries over the network resulting in faster execution of queries.
This is an open-source, lightweight, and fast database used for React Native-based application development for both- Android and iOS. It is developed with a robust server-side language-Golang, created by Google. Vasern’s API can also be utilized for syncing across app clients, local storage, and for cloud storage.
Key Advantages of Vasern:
- Vasern ensures good performance of apps and speedier operations
- Provides end-to-end database syncing
- Support basic data types like string, double, int, double, reference, DateTime, etc.
- Provides support to languages that use UTF – 8 coding.
This database is built on top of SQLite. It can scale a myriad number of records without impacting the application speed. This database is perfectly optimized for complex apps built with React Native that ensures real-world performance.
Key Advantages of Watermelon DB:
- It is a fast, multi-threaded, relational, and highly cached database
- It supports an offline first system for syncing with your own backend.
- It allows static typing with flow
This is a high-performing backend and allows the developers to handle data in several ways. It comes with an API that is compatible with numerous languages and several platforms like Android and iOS.
Key Advantages of BerkeleyDB:
- Simple to use
- Provides support for industrial-strength transactions
- Ensures concurrent access for multiple users
This is a local storage database and comes in-built with React Native. It enables developers to persist data between reboots of the apps. It acts as an outstanding solution for saving the data that the app required, even when the app is being closed by the users.
Apart from the local databases mentioned here, there are several other databases available for the React Native app developers to utilize in their projects. But, the choice of a database ultimately depends on the project requirement, its scope, and end goals. For instance, Firebase suits perfectly when one has to develop real-time apps. Realm is great for almost every possible requirement, but comparatively, SQLite doesn’t provide the same level of performance, scalability, and security. Rather SQLite is good to go with when one needs to leverage the abilities of a relational database. So, the one that suits your requirements is the best choice for you.
Here we come to an end! We hope this write-up was insightful.