In the year 2020, after the pandemic hit the world, businesses of all kinds rapidly started switching to remote work to successfully carry out their operations during lockdown situations. Owing to this, video conferencing applications like Zoom, Slack, Skype, Google Meet, Cisco Webex, etc. gained momentum and their usage surged exponentially.
Since then, the demand for various kinds of video conferencing apps is high in the market. Today, entrepreneurs and business ventures across the globe are seeing this as an opportunity and are keen on creating top-class video conferencing applications.
So, in this article, we are going to shed light upon costing for video conferencing app development that would prove helpful to the entrepreneurs and mobile app development companies who plan to create such apps. We will also have a look into what features must be considered while developing a full-fledged video conferencing app, the monetization models, etc. Let’s begin.
Factors that affect the Cost of Developing a Video Conferencing App
- Features to be Embedded in the App
- Design Complexity of the App
- Factors like Platforms and Devices, Development Architecture, Technology Stack, App Design, Testing, App Hosting and Security, Maintenance and Updating, etc.
- Average Hourly Rates of the Developers
The hourly rate of the developers varies as per their locations. If you want to outsource your project to a country like India, the charges could range from $20 to $150. Countries from regions like Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. charge anywhere from $35 to $150. The highest rates are charged specifically by the app development companies located in the United States and Canada and their charges range from $90 to $230.
Key Features of a Video Conferencing App
Any video chat app or video calling app requires some fundamental features in the app. Besides, to make the app stand out amongst the competitors, the app should include some unique features. So, if you are going to develop an MVP model, you can consider the basic features to start with. Also, depending on your budget, you may think of integrating advanced features in the app.
- Personal and Group Chatting
- Personal and Group Audio/Video Calling
- Adding Contacts
- Searching New People, Messages, Groups, etc.
- Group Creation
- Screen Sharing
- Media Sharing
- Mute Participants
- Compatibility with Multiple Devices
- Scheduling of Meetings
- End-to-end Encryption
- Enter Meeting IDs and Join Meetings
- Unlimited Recording of Meetings and Presentations
- HD Videos for High-quality Meeting Experience
- Dynamic Presentation Features: Note Sharing and Uploading Various Files like PPTs, MP4 Videos, etc.
- Branding Features like Adding Logo during a Webinar
- Feedbacks and Performance Metrics, Attendance Report, etc.
- In-meeting Messaging
- Whiteboard Camera System
- Auto-framing for Adjusting Participants to Fit the Screen Properly
- Zoom-in and Zoom-out during Meetings
Cutting-edge Features Expected in Future
- Live Video Editing
- Green-screen and Virtual Background in the Meetings
Estimated Cost of Developing a New-age Video Conferencing App
The price of developing a video chat/calling application is determined by a host of factors. Let us have a look at the approximate costs of the apps.
- A simple app with basic features would cost anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000. Such an app may not have API integration, no essential UI components, etc.
- A moderate application may range from $40,000 to $80,000. It would come with custom UI/UX features, backend servers, API integration, and a few other features.
- A high-end full-fledged app with complex functionalities like third-party integrations, complex backend, custom animations, real-time features, etc. may approximately cost from $75,000 to $150,000 or more.
This was an approximate estimation of what a professional video chat app would cost. Besides knowing the cost, it is also vital to know the ways to earn back the money you invested. So let us quickly run through some monetization models.
Significant Monetization Models
Introducing Paid Services:
You can introduce paid services after a certain limit. For instance, for adding more than 50/100 people in a meeting, charge the clients with extra cost. Or, ask the users to pay when they want to extend a set time limit for the meeting. You may even charge them for availing elite services.
Monthly/Yearly Subscription Models:
Subscription models are one of the best ways to generate some extra income. To cite an example, Zoom comes with a monthly subscription model and offers additional services like voicemail and call recording feature, secure HD conversations, IVR tools, and auto-attendants, automated call management, etc.
In-app advertisements are not a very good idea to make money, especially in professional video meeting apps. However, you may use the white space to display small image-based advertisements at times, depending on your target audience.
So, how much does it cost to create a compelling video conferencing app? Well, there is no ‘one fit for all’ answer to this question. The development cost is usually the amalgamation of a number of factors like features and functionalities of the app, its design complexity, tech-stack, geographical location of the development teams, and much more. Finally, it completely depends on what you are looking for and what are your particular requirements.
With this, we wrap up this article. It was an attempt to solve your queries regarding the cost of the creation of a video-conferencing application. Hope we have been able to help you with that. If you have any other queries, get in touch with us here.
Also, let us know your views on this article in the comments section below.
If you want to create an innovative video conferencing application, reach out to Biz4Solutions, a renowned mobile app development agency. The company has vast experience in architecting next-gen software solutions for businesses of all kinds.