With the large number of Web Development technologies surfacing to build modern-day web apps, Web App Development is getting increasingly complex and challenging. With the internet brimming with abundant web applications, users abandon and switch to other web applications in no time, if the application fails to satisfy their expectations, thereby damaging company’s brand reputation. So, for delivering a successful end-product, the organization needs to carefully execute each of these developmental and promotional stages to minimize errors, conform to business objectives, and provide a rich user experience.
However, fulfilling all the aforesaid factors becomes quite complicated and time-consuming. Hence, chances of lapses are likely; specifically, if your team is inexperienced or in a hurry to complete a project within the set timeline. Therefore, the web development team should maintain a checklist of the essential tasks; to avoid any misses.
This blog provides web development checklists that your team needs to refer to; for building a successful web application or a website. The following checklists have been created by consolidating the inputs from software-sector veterans; and will help a Web App Development Company to ensure that important action items are not neglected or overlooked.
Before we dive deeper let’s have a look at why checklists are required.
Checks for Web Development
Every web app development project must undergo the following validations to ensure the creation of a flawless website. Let’s have a look at the key checklists and understand their importance.
Design, UX and SEO checks
- Optimize your website for all kinds of devices – mobiles, tablets, laptops and desktops.
- Get rid of irrelevant images.
- Check whether the UX design has been executed as per the set standards.
- Make sure your website is free of broken links and validation errors. Broken links – the links which show an error or the “page not found” message on clicking – adversely affect the UX and also the website’s SEO score.
- Remember to include meta tags – title, description, etc. – as they improve the website’s position and boost the chances of ranking in the search engines.
- Cross-check the website content for any possible mistakes regarding spellings, grammar, etc. before the website’s live launch.
- Make sure that your content is unique and free of plagiarism.
Functionality and Performance checks
- Check the appearance and loading speed of your images. In case they are slower in loading or appear blurred; have this problem fixed by optimizing the image-size. Optimization of images improves performance as well as search engine rankings.
- Check the loading time of your website. If the loading time turns out to be more than 4 sec, get the issue fixed, or else it will adversely affect your viewership.
- Check your website’s rendering and performance on trending browsers such as Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Ensure that your web page involves effortless navigation and all the links are functional.
- SSL (Secured Socket Layer): Possessing an SSL (Secured Socket Layer) certificate is desirable if your website gathers sensitive user-information such as personal details, credit cards/banking particulars.
- An anti-malware Plugin: The usage of anti-malware plugins helps to combat malware threats and protect a website from viruses and malware attacks.
Handy Web Development Checklists and their offerings
Now have a look at the ready-made Web development checklists recommended for your team!
Checklists related to an app’s pre-launch and post-launch
- The Essential Pre-launch Checklist for Your Website comprises functionality, design elements, cross-browser testing, content editing, and SEO.
- Website Launch Checklist by Glasgow developer offers tools for checking actions after completion, greying out items that are not applicable, and resetting the checklist to make it ready for the next project. It includes content editing, links’ testing, navigation usability, CSS and HTML validity, GDPR compliance, Communication, infrastructure, styles and scripts’ minification, compatibility, analytics, accessibility, performance, etc.
- The Essential Launch Checklist for Web Apps and Mobile Apps by Ben Cheng enables product managers to test the performance level, security, compatibility, and broken links in applications.
Checklists on Front-end performance
- Front-end Performance Checklist 2020 by Vitaly Friedman offers the following items How to get ready on planning and metrics, how to set realistic goals, define the environment, assets, build and delivery optimizations, monitoring, and testing, etc.
Checklists related to the backend server and database security
- Back-end Best Practices provides stack-agonistic guidance on the best available practices involving different back-end architectures like security, data storage solutions, app monitoring, server environments, etc. It also offers a responsibility checklist for organizing the team-tasks and a release-checklist needed at the time of launch of the app or website.
- Database Testing Checklist offers items regarding stored procedures, database integrity, field validation, transactions, security, constraints, etc.
Checklists on Cross-browser testing
I hope this blog was helpful. Have you come across any roadblocks while web app development? Do share your experiences in the comments section below and let us know in case of further queries.