A survey conducted by Statista reveals; “Cross-platform technologies are used by approximately one-third of the mobile app developers as of 2020. Out of the contemporary cross-platform frameworks, 42% of software developers used React Native, 39% used Flutter, 18% used Cordova, 18% used Ionic and 14% used Xamarin”.
The aforesaid data indicates the popularity of React Native framework amongst the trending cross-platform frameworks. Yet, an app creator finds it difficult to select a framework for the next app development project; due to the availability of multiple options. So, despite React Native’s high adoption rate, businesses are curious to know about where this framework stands in comparison to its competitors – Flutter, Cordova, Ionic, and Xamarin. And, to be honest, it is a smart move to analyze all the available options and weigh the pros and cons of the most popular framework before narrowing down on a single option for app development.
This article compares React Native to the other cross-platform frameworks to provide clear visibility to entrepreneurs planning to invest in cross-platform app development. But, before proceeding further; take a quick look at the language and technology stacks used by each of the contemporary cross-platform frameworks.
React native and its Competitors: Programming Languages and Technology stacks used
Xamarin uses the .NET framework and C#, a statically typed language; for all mobile platforms. A developer using C# with Xamarin can achieve the same outcome as delivered by Swift, Objective-C, or Java.
React Native Compared to the Contemporary Cross-Platform App Development Frameworks
React Native vs Flutter
- React Native is easy to install and configure. Yarn and NodeJS would be required as Package managers when React-Native CLI is installed globally through the command line. Contrarily, Flutter installation needs additional effort – downloading the binary for the mobile platform, then adding path variable through the command line – that is complex as well as time-consuming.
- React Native enjoys a stronger community backing which is an important advantage for an open-source framework. On the other hand community support for Flutter is smaller in comparison to React Native. Find more details about differences in this blog.
React Native vs Cordova
- React Native apps excel in performance while Cordova apps, being WebViews, are slower and lesser responsive.
- React Native offers a speedier interaction with core components and better native UX as it renders HTML as native UI in comparison to Cordova.
- Cordova offers more code reusability across various platforms.
- React Native provides a finer native user experience in comparison to Cordova
- Debugging is easier and simpler with React Native.
React Native vs Ionic
- While React Native follows the principle of “Learn once and write anywhere”; Ionic’s theory is “Write once and run anywhere”.
- The Ionic developers encounter an easier learning curve due to web technologies as compared to the React Native developers.
- React Native apps are much faster than Ionic apps and also possess elegant interfaces like native applications.
- React Native requires an emulator or real mobile device for code testing whereas the Ionic code can be tested using any browser.
React Native vs Xamarin
- Both are open-source platforms but Xamarin is free only for small firms and individuals.
- React Native offers some built-in components like buttons and text inputs that are partially adaptive. These components have to be rebuilt in case of advanced features. But, Xamarin. Forms provide a complete cross-platform toolkit having native UI components for Android and iOS that are compiled into platform-specified UI components.
- React Native boasts of better community support while Xamarin enjoys greater code reusability.
I hope the comparison of React Native and its contemporaries was enlightening and will assist the businesses planning to develop cross-platform apps to decide on the best cross-platform framework that suits their needs.
For technical assistance with any of these aforesaid frameworks; contact Biz4Solutions; a prominent and highly experienced mobile app development company.